The inherent architecture of satellite networks causes significant and unavoidable end-to-end propagation delays ranging between 350 and 500 msecs that negatively impact overall network performance. These delays present a technical challenge to Satellite Network Operators (SNOs) who want to leverage existing networks and capital investments while at the same time offering their global enterprise customers additional high-margin, value-added services, such as high speed Internet access and Virtual Private Network (VPN) capability.
- SNOs need to optimize their network design to improve overall performance.
- Satellite network architecture needs to better handle applications that tend to be compromised by long latency times — applications such as mission-critical, delay-sensitive, and bandwidth-intensive.
- Operators of legacy networks want operations to flow faster and more efficiently. Improved methods for remote access, centralized monitoring, and management are features they seek to streamline their process.
- Encryption over satellite links needs to be improved so that enterprise customers’ demands for end-to-end security can be met.
Encore Networks has been working very closely with SNOs to provide VPN solutions that meet the stringent performance requirements of today’s satellite networks. The BANDIT™ IP+Legacy product meets or exceeds all of these requirements.
The BANDIT™ includes built-in software support for interoperability with the enhanced link protocols SNOs are currently implementing over their satellite networks. The BANDIT™ provides the enhancements required to optimize satellite networks with the following application-specific features:
- Enabling interoperability with satellite link protocols
- Providing encryption support at both the network and application layers
- Offering an easy way to manage VSAT terminals through an alternate in-band access method
- Classifying and prioritizing different types of IP traffic
Key Product Features
- Economical solution for providing VPN solutions over satellite networks
- Compact design enables easy co-location with VSAT terminals
- Interoperable with satellite link protocols
- Includes robust security features, such as Virtual Private Network (VPN), firewall, and encryption
- Supports legacy enterprise data protocols over IP, such as SNA, SDLC, bisync, X.25, and others
- Supports both in-band and out-of-band access for network management via the powerful ELIOS™ operating system
Encore Networks offers several attractive value propositions for satellite networks with its BANDIT™ IP+Legacy solution:
- A smooth migration strategy for existing global enterprise customers to receive next-generation, high margin, valueadded satellite network services
- Optimized architecture that meets the unique performance characteristics of today’s satellite networks
- Built-in V.90 modem that ensures higher service availability
- Comprehensive, built-in troubleshooting and diagnostic tools
- Easy plug and play installation via the proven ELIOS™ operating system