Remote Data Unit
The Remote Data Unit (RDU™) is a high density serial port expander module that has 12 DB25 serial ports and 1 Ethernet port. The RDU™ is available for use with the VSR 1200™ product for serial port expansion. Each serial port on this module can handle both sync/ async legacy data protocols, supporting up to 240 remote terminals per RDU™, with the assumption of 10 sites per serial port.
The connectivity between the RDU™ module and the VSR 1200™ takes place over a 10baseT Ethernet port providing flexible mounting locations.
The VSR 1200™ is integrated with best-of-breed IP VPN features, IP routing, advanced QoS, dynamic packet inspection firewall, embedded address management capabilities, and legacy data support via a high-density RDU™ serial module. Such flexibility provides stateful-inspection firewall, with the scalable performance needed for the most demanding network applications.
Serial Application Diagram - Multi-Network
Each serial port on the RDU™ is a DB25 female connector, physical DCE RS-232. A DB25-to- DB25 crossover conversion cable is to be used if a physical DTE interface is required. The front of the RDU™ has 12 LEDs, one for each serial port. Table 2-10 describes the LED states for the RDU’s serial ports.
Figure 1. Remote Data Unit, Front
Figure 2. Remote Data Unit, Rear
Specifications subject to change without notice
- Serial ports: 12 ports per module
- Remote terminals per module: Up to 20 polled remote terminals per port and up to 240 remote terminals per a single RDU™ module
- Capacity per a single module: Up to 3Mbps throughput per a single module
- Speed of async/sync port: Up to 115kbps
The RDU is designed for quick and easy integration with the BANDIT and other equipment in a typical networking environment.
- Height: 1.75 in.; 4.45 cm
- Width: 19 in.; 48.26 cm
- Depth: 8.3 in.; 21.08 cm
- Weight: 4 lb.; 1.81 kg
- Installation Type: Rackmount
The power supply is 100 to 240 VAC, 50–60 Hz, autoranging, with a locking connector. The RDU’s power consumption is 10 watts AC; its power supply delivers 3.3 volts DC to the RDU.
- Temperature: 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C)
- Humidity: 10% to 85% non-condensing
- Altitude: Up to 10,000 ft. (3,048 m)